Of Goodness

My cousin Larry died last night. This is in no way a shock; he had been in a nursing home for years. Larry was 70 years old, I think. For 63 of those years, he was in a wheelchair. Larry contracted polio when he was seven, in the early 50s, right before the first vaccine came on the scene. He lived, but he never walked again.

A few years later, he watched helplessly as his father went into a grain silo to help a neighbor who had succumbed to gas and couldn’t come out on his own. His father didn’t come out, either. His brother Michael was there, and he didn’t go in, because Larry told him not to.

larrycrop

Many years later, post-polio syndrome reared its hideous head, and Larry slowly lost the use of the muscles over which he’d retained control. When I was a girl in the early 80s, I remember him in a motorized wheelchair that he could control with a joystick. His good hand was awkward, but it still worked. Over time, even that went away. When my sister visited him some months ago, he could still control his breath, just a bit, and blow into a tube near his mouth to get the attention of a nurse. And he could whisper a little.

Larry went to school and became a licensed social worker. He was, by all accounts, beloved by his clients and coworkers alike. Sometimes a client in crisis called him, and his sisters held a phone to his ear for hours while he talked, and listened.

None of these things is, I think, the most remarkable thing about Larry. The most remarkable thing was his goodness. He was patient and funny and kind and compassionate. His compassion was so great that it swelled up and oozed out and covered the sorrows of people who had far, far less to complain about than he did. He was always like this, as far as I remember, and it was easy to think that he was just made differently than the rest of us. Nicer, with a better soul.

My mother believed this a little. My sister drove her out to see Larry a year or so before she died, when it was clear that she was sliding into dementia. She was frustrated and angry and frightened at the loss of control, and she told Larry she envied him his positive attitude. She just couldn’t seem to find one. Larry gathered his strength for a few sentences of audible speech and said, “Well, Lucy … it isn’t easy. You have to choose it.”

It isn’t easy. You have to choose it. Words for the ages, from a man who had to choose his words with care, because he didn’t have so many left.

You may read this and want to reply that you are sorry for my loss. Save it. I mean that in the nicest possible way, of course. This is not my loss. This is everyone’s loss. Everyone but Larry. He is released at last from a body that, at the end, prevented him from doing anything but praying, which he did all day long.

If I grieve, it is not for Larry. It is because I am not more like him.

11 thoughts on “Of Goodness

1. Margaret March 11, 2017 at 11:46 am Reply

A positive outlook. “Well…It’s not easy. You have to chose it.” I’m totally going to [try to] use this.

2. Elise March 11, 2017 at 4:56 pm Reply

Thank you for your words that struck down deep in my soul. I love you and want you to know I appreciate what you saw in him, as we all saw, but none of us had the words to express so eloquently!

3. Gail March 11, 2017 at 6:26 pm Reply

Such a beautiful tribute to Larry…I remember him when we were children…after polio took its toll…in the old Mansfield church…always kind, fun, gentle……and as an adult the same goodness and positive attitude….

4. Sandy March 11, 2017 at 9:18 pm Reply

Beautifully written. Thanks for reminding us all, to be more thankful. I am thankful Paul has you, and thankful I know Paul!

5. Susan Rufener March 12, 2017 at 6:50 am Reply

Tears and more as I finished reading this post. Your words were beautiful and relay a beautiful soul who was so special..my Larry always spoke highly of Larry’s love; they share the same birthday. They’re smiling in heaven together..free from earthly pain. Their hiking the golden trails, skipping along!!

6. Bob Indermuhle March 13, 2017 at 9:51 am Reply

Larry was God’s love in action

7. Charlotte Waibel March 13, 2017 at 11:03 am Reply

Words so well-spoken,Carol. Thank you for making us think more deeply about choosing how we deal with whatever comes our way.

8. Elizabeth Sauder Miller March 13, 2017 at 6:42 pm Reply

Oh, I remember dear Larry from “the old church” when I was a child. I remember when his hero dad tried to save a life and lost his own. Larry came from a line of strong men. I did not know he chose to spend himself as a public servant. I remember his hero brother moving (by hand) a VW Beetle out of the way so Larry’s chair could get through. The family–mother and sisters included– were all always kind and gentle and smiling. I don’t know how they did it… Or maybe, just maybe, they chose.

I honor his memory. Thank you for your beautiful tribute.

9. Kelly Zollinger March 13, 2017 at 10:44 pm Reply

What a beautiful post Carol! Thank you so much for taking time to share this! Such good words for me to hear!!

10. Wiley Graf March 28, 2017 at 4:11 pm Reply

Sitting in my office chair at work … with tears in my eyes. Beautiful post! Thank you. Thank you, Larry.

11. Norah (Gerber) Wiker May 21, 2017 at 3:00 pm Reply

I remember Larry teaching my teen Sunday School class when I would visit Mansfield.